It is the oldest surviving school building which is constructed for foreigners' children living in Hong Kong. In 1900, Mr. Ho Tung donated $15,000 to the Government to set up a school in Kowloon. The building was officially opened by the Governor, on 19 April 1902.
The school was officially opened as a primary school for some 60 pupils but it was converted to be a secondary school for some 300 students in the mid 1930s.
The building is a typical structure, but was modified to adapt to local climatic conditions by adding wide verandas, high ceilings and pitched roofs.
The Family Welfare Asscoiation and Tsim Sha Tsui Kaifong Asscoiation had used the building after the Second World War. It now houses the Antiquities and Monuments Office after restoration.
It is "" since 19 July 1991.